It is time for Dewey’s 24-Hour Readathon! For the next 24-ish hours this blog post will be updated frequently (see Updates section below) and my social media will be full of bookish updates!
My plan involves reading, catching up with good friends over lunch, reading, maybe some mini-challenges, reading — oh and then more reading. Interested in knowing more about Dewey’s 24-Hour Readathon? Check out April 23rd’s post.
10:06AM – Off to a Slow Start
- I slept in this morning and then got news that a friend of mine has gone into labour — so this morning has not gone as I envisioned but I am still going to be reading when I can.
- To start me off this morning I will be answering the Opening questions (which started a few hours ago):
- What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Manitoba, Canada
- Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter
- Which snack are you most looking forward to? My Smartfood Cheddar Popcorn (I am addicted to it!)
- Tell us a little something about yourself! I am already feeling overwhelmed with the readathon and I technically haven’t picked up a book yet. I’m excited, but a little nervous. :p
- If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? This is my first readathon ever! I am looking forward to learning from the chaos that will ensue today and seeing what mini-challenges they have in store for us.
11:44AM – Getting Ready For Lunch Date with My Friends
- I cannot read The Bloody Chamber right now, need to get ready for my lunch date with my two besties! But I have Lemony Snicket’s The Miserable Mill playing on audiobook and will listen to it on the ride downtown.
12:14PM – Challenge Entry: Operation Quotation
- Challenge Details: Find a quote. It can be on any topic and can’t be a long quote. Provide the quote, book name and the author.
- My Submission:
“You did not have to understand miracles to believe in them, and in fact, Mabel had come to suspect the opposite. To believe, perhaps you had to cease looking for explanations and instead hold the little thing in your hands as long as you were able before it slipped like water between your fingers.”
(Eowyn Ivey, The Snow Child)
12:15PM – Out to Lunch with Friends (be back later)
4:32PM – Challenge Entry: Share a Quote
- Challenge Details: “Pick a quote from the book that you are reading or books that you’ve read during this read-a-thon. I love quotes, so I would really love to hear the one that made a big impression on you. The quote should be: FUNNY (or hilarious) or ROMANTIC (or sexy) or INSPIRING orWOW THIS IS WRITTEN SO BEAUTIFULLY.”
- My Submission:
“I’m sure you have heard it said that appearance does not matter so much, and that it is what’s on the inside that counts. This is, of course, utter nonsense, because if it were true then people who were good on the inside would never have to comb their hair or take a bath, and the whole world would smell even worse than it already does. Appearance matters a great deal, because you can often tell a lot about people by looking at how they present themselves.”
― Lemony Snicket, The Miserable Mill
5:05PM – Challenge Entry: Character Road Trip
- Challenge Details:
- Pick a character that you would like to road trip with
- Tell me 3 destinations that you would hit
- My Submission:
- Coraline from Neil Gaiman’s book with the same name. I think she would be a fun person to go on adventures with because she is curious and a risk taker, but most importantly, she would be willing to help and work through a tough situation (which she proved in the book). When I go on road trips and outings, I like to have adventures and it’s always best to travel with someone you know will have your back just in case you find yourself in trouble.
- Instead of picking cities and specific landmarks, I am instead going to pick activities:
– Camping & kayaking trip in the middle of the woods
– A creepy haunted house tour
– Visit a medium or tarot card reader to see if other ghosts reach out to Coraline
7:45PM – Out for Drinks with Friends (be back later tonight)
12:45AM – Challenge Entry: Kickass Characters
- Challenge Details: Share your favorite badass character(s)!
- My Submission: I am going to give you three badass leading ladies who can take care of themselves and are not afraid to get their hands dirty:
- Cersei (of house Lannister) Baratheon from Game of Thrones
- Ayla from The Clan of the Cave Bear
- Lisbeth Salander from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo